THE DEHAVEN FAMILY

We are a military family, just beginning our lives in this whole new adventure! My husband, Matt, is in the U.S. Navy and works as a hospital corpsman. We have two beautiful daughters, Finley, 5 and Charli Lyn, 20 months. We feel so blessed to have each other and to take on this new lifestyle together.



Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Military...Wife???

Only in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine such a life like living through the military. I always imagined a home, with my husband and children close to family, with good paying jobs and being contently happy. The military lifestyle gave me nothing of that....the first year....
After a million of long night discussions and ruined dinners over the topic, I supported Matts idea and need and want to join the military. August 6 2009 rolled around and we officially became a military family. Matt, me, Finley, and the unknown baby (at the time). I never realized what I was going to be in for. Going through so many things all at once (wendy's passing, expecting baby 2, and moving to fl) really was overwhelming. But like an adult....or a girl with amazing friends and family, I got through it all. Plus having the world's best husband always helps. :)
Matt left for boot camp in May 2010 and still isnt home. Boot camp takes place in a suburb of Chicago called Great Lakes. Which makes trips up there interesting since Chicago is only a 45minute train ride away. I had the priviledge of witnessing Matts boot camp graduation in July and spending the weekend with him after not seeing him for 3 months and the only communication alloted was written letters with an occasional earned phone call. In 12 weeks, I only heard from him 3-4 times. It was a long couple months without him, although the girls kept me completely occupied and some phone calls from the world's greatest friends helped too. After he graduated, Matt moved on to "A" school, still in Great Lakes. He excelled at all expenses and just grew as a person, as a husband, as a father, and as a recruit. He is now in Jacksonville North Carolina stationed at Camp Lejuene completely FMTB Training, aka Combat and Casualty Training. Basically, if Matt ever goes to war, this is the training that prepares him for that. He will be done with this training and graduate March 8. The date that cannot come fast enough!!! After graduation he will head directly to Beaufort South Carolina which is his first duty station. Finley, Charli and I will be joining him there shortly after. I have to stay here for a few extra days to make sure the move goes off without hitch. Crossing my fingers!! I am so looking forward to this move since the last move I did was moving away from him. It has been one long year but its been an experience and I dont regret it. I have missed him more than a wife can miss their husband and I feel so sorry for him that he has missed Charli's first year. He's missed Finley's preschool growth and it was all in part of a huge scarifice that he is making for us, our family, and our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment