THE DEHAVEN FAMILY

We are a military family, just beginning our lives in this whole new adventure! My husband, Matt, is in the U.S. Navy and works as a hospital corpsman. We have two beautiful daughters, Finley, 5 and Charli Lyn, 20 months. We feel so blessed to have each other and to take on this new lifestyle together.



Monday, January 31, 2011

FMTB Training

Matt has been in FMTB training now since the beginning of January. He has been positioned as the MAA (master at arms) for his platoon of 65 guys. For those of you that don't know MAA, that's an honor to have that title. Matt feels very honored and privileged to hold that title. I'm so proud of him! They go through a Marine boot camp, so to speak, and they make the men/women train for war. This week they are out at the Riffle Range and are learning how to shoot and do all kinds of different/crazy things. I hate the thought of him shooting guns. UGH! I wish guns were banned from every country and walk of life! I hate them!! Anyway back to what I was talking about..the guys have been staying at these old barracks and they have no hot water or heat. The mattresses they sleep on are bare with just their sleeping bags on top! Talk about roughing it!! I feel so bad for them and to top it off they have barely any cell phone reception, which makes talking to him all that much more fun. So unfortunately they will be out there until Friday so I write him texts so it has all day to go through so that when he gets back to the barracks he has something to read. I guess I'm just trying to fill the wifely duties as well as supporting.
This training is very grueling and hard. The worst is yet to come. It's like they are training them from the era of the Vietnam war and all the tactics they used. From army crawling on the ground with guns while shooting, to carrying wounded soldiers through freezing waters up to their necks. They do long mile hikes and camp out with only food rations for days at a time. And I thought Holiday Inn was roughing it! LOL! Poor guys! But as long as they drive through this training and come out on top, they will only be that much better of a man, soldier and being. I'm so proud of what Matt has accomplished so far! I can't wait to see what else this military life will hold for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment