THE DEHAVEN FAMILY

We are a military family, just beginning our lives in this whole new adventure! My husband, Matt, is in the U.S. Navy and works as a hospital corpsman. We have two beautiful daughters, Finley, 5 and Charli Lyn, 20 months. We feel so blessed to have each other and to take on this new lifestyle together.



Monday, February 20, 2012

Settled down

I can't believe that this deployment has been a month in already. A month! Seems like time is going a little faster now and thats a good thing! While I'm busy with both girls and school and work has been picking up and the days seem to roll into one another, Matt is busy doing his "workups" still. His training is pretty intense and he is ready to get over there and get the time clock ticking. He is doing some pretty interesting training, from getting a drivers license for hummers and m-raps, military vehicles, to simulators in tanks and hummers and practicing shooting and all kinds of things. His life is getting pretty interesting I think. I told him he would have some really great stories for his grandchildren one day. Anyway, he is doing well and is ready to get going! Besides school, my work has been picking up this past week, which means more money, not a bad thing! This week is going to be busy too! Cant wait! Plus, its a short week with no school on presidents day. It just helps the week go by faster!

We are pretty good in our routine now during the week and on the weekend, Finley loves to have "girls night". Girls night is when we get to pick a movie and eat popcorn and stay up late and since this has been a long weekend, we have had "girls night" 3 nights in a row! I love it too because it gives me snuggle time with both of them. That snuggle time wont last forever so Im going to soak it all up now while they are still young! On Friday when Finley got out of school, my friend Nicole and her 4 month old little precious girl Kennedy, went to Charleston for the day. A much needed girls getaway! We had lunch on the way and went shopping at the outlets and had dinner at Olive Garden and made a much needed trip to Costco. Isnt it funny you can tell you are getting older when your excited to go to Costco?!?! We had such a great day, talking and laughing and most importantly, shopping! Nicole is such a great friend to me and the girls. She helps me out so much, I am so grateful that she is here and that we are able to be such great friends and help each other out! She is a lifesaver! Yesterday, I went on Craigslist and posted my tv stand and vacuum cleaner and the vacuum cleaner sold in 20 minutes! I am thinking that could be a record?! So, the girls and I got ready and went and met the guy who bought it and then proceeded to Bluffton, a shopping area about 25 miles south of Beaufort. There is a Target and all kinds of stores and Bed, Bath and Beyond, two Tanger outlet malls and restaurants. Thank the Lord its not that far away. We hit Target first. I bought the girls some new color books and painting books and Charli got a new learning words book and Finley got a preschool workbook to help keep her up to date on all that she is learning. I also bought a new vacuum while i was there. My mom had been researching vacuums on the consumer reports and I bought the #4 vac on there, a Eureka, and it was on sale for 89.99! An even bigger plus! We went and walked around the outlets for a while, snooping around the Coach store and American Eagle. I could have bought so much stuff...but then the guilty feeling kicked in. So we just grabbed some McDonalds and headed home.

Today we are having a nice relaxing morning at home and then we are getting our hair done this afternoon. I am going to dye my hair back to more of its natural color and just add some suttle highlights. Im a little nervous. I have been blonde for a long time now and I love it. So why am I changing it? Because I get such a good deal here with Nicole doing my hair, that when we leave I wont be able to afford it. So I guess Im being rational, realistic, or whatever you may call it, just doing this so I have time to get used to it and have someone who knows my hair and me and can get it to where I am happy with it. I trust Nicole, so I know that she will get it right. The joys of having a friend in the hair business sure makes it easy! And the thought that we probably wont be stationed together for a while or ever is scary! Thats one of the downfalls of friends in the military, when you find really good ones, its unlikely that you will always be stationed together which automatically makes your relationship over facebook and cell phones. Its always temporary being with them. Such an awful downfall. So we sure treasure the time that we have since we only have a year left! It sure is about to go by fast!

Hope everyone has a safe week!

No comments:

Post a Comment